Queen Elizabeth has decided to scrap her traditional Christmas plans at her home in Sandringham, eastern England, for the second year in a row.
Fox News can confirm that the King, 95, will instead celebrate the holiday at Windsor Castle, west London, and will be joined by members of the royal family.
Buckingham Palace said the Queen’s selection “reflects a precautionary approach” as the COVID-19 omicron variant continues to spread across the U,K.
Before the pandemic, every year members of the royal family would spend the holidays with the Queen on the farm and open their presents on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas Day, they attend church mass at St. Mary Magdalene Church. After that, they will return to Sandringham for lunch and other celebrations.
Queen Elizabeth spends the night in hospital after being given advice to rest, palace says
Last week, Queen Elizabeth canceled her traditional Christmas lunch. She had been hoping to host her extended family for next week’s annual meeting after last year’s festivities were canceled due to coronavirus restrictions. However, a source revealed on Thursday that this year’s meet has also been cancelled.
“The decision is precautionary as it is believed to put many people’s Christmas arrangements at risk if it goes ahead,” a source told Fox News. “While there is regret about its cancellation, there is a belief that it is the right thing to do for all parties involved.”
Queen Elizabeth will not take a step down, but will make up for her “steps”, claims the former press secretary
Last year was a difficult year for the Queen. It’s the first holiday season that her husband of 73 years won’t be by her side. Prince Philip died in April at the age of 99.
Then in October, she spent a night in a London He was hospitalized for “preliminary investigations” and rested for a few weeks. Since then, she has taken on light duties, including virtual audiences with diplomats and weekly talks with the Prime Minister.
Later in November, the palace revealed that Elizabeth Lowett had her back and therefore would not be able to attend a ceremony at the memorial in London to honor service members who gave their lives for the UK.
CLICK HERE FOR FOX NEWS APP
“The Queen, having twisted her back, has decided this morning with great regret that she will not be able to attend Sunday’s mass at the memorial,” the statement read. “Her Majesty the Queen is disappointed that she will miss the service.”
Stephanie Nolasco of Fox News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.